Phone: (862) 368-2800 Fax: (973) 736-0212
All information and correspondence is held in the strictest confidence.


What is the first step in dealing with my sexual abuse?

The first step is to acknowledge it to yourself and to reach out for help.


What happens now that I’ve contacted Road to Recovery?

There are a number of options. Road to Recovery can walk you through the steps that have been helpful to survivors. Contact Bob Hoatson at (862) 368-2800 today. You do not have to give ANY personal or private information if that is your desire. Or we can offer referrals to a health care professional for talk therapy and/or pharmacological therapy. We have successfully walked thousands through the process and accompanied them on their healing journey.  R2R meets victims/survivors wherever they are in the country and wherever they are in their recovery. Because victims/survivors are more comfortable on their own turf, especially in the early stages of recovery, we make it a point to meet face to face with whenever possible.


My abuse happened long ago. Is it too late to tell someone about it?

It is never too late, no matter when it happened, no matter how old you are now. What is crucial is to do something about the sexual abuse in order to begin the healing process. As the saying goes, “If you don’t deal with your secrets, your secrets will deal with you.”


How much does Road to Recovery charge for its services?

All assistance from Road to Recovery is FREE. At times, survivors who have received settlements have donated funds to help us continue our work, but there is never an obligation.


Is Road to Recovery a mental health organization?

No. We are “pastoral advocates” and counselors who can assess a situation and then walk a victim/survivor through tried and true strategies that have helped others–and might help you, too.  We often recommend therapists and social service agencies to help you in your recovery.


Can I receive justice through civil or criminal courts?

If the laws of the state in which you were abused allow you to file a criminal charge, and your case meets all the requirements, you may file a criminal complaint. Even if your case does not apply in the criminal courts, we recommend you file a police report in the county or town/city in which you were abused. It might inspire other victims to come forward and realize they’re not alone. In general, if your case is beyond the criminal statute of limitations, you are not eligible to file. However, all legal questions should be addressed to competent attorneys who are experts in handling sexual abuse cases.


I am a victim of clergy sexual abuse. Can I receive justice through the church?

There is much controversy regarding the answer to this question. Some dioceses and religious entities have paid settlements to survivors. Many have not. With the clergy background of its founders, Road to Recovery is uniquely qualified to counsel you about these matters.  Other denominations have developed policies and procedures to handle sexual abuse cases, and we can refer you to those authorities as well. Keep in mind, though, that the first phone call to be made following sexual abuse of a minor is to the police.


What would you consider the three most important steps to recovery from sexual abuse?

Therapy, medication (if necessary), and support meetings. While financial compensation through settlements is an important tool to help in your recovery, it is not the most important thing.


How do I begin my “Road to Recovery?”

Simply pick up the phone and call Bob Hoatson at (862) 368-2800. He will spend as much time as required to assess your needs and suggest options that will put you in charge of your recovery and proactive in your healing process.


Is there a quick-fix for healing?

Recovering from sexual abuse is not an easy process by any means. But the alternative –living with the dark and desperate effects of sexual abuse–is much, much worse. Road to Recovery assists in leading victims/survivors to the light.